Since Covid-19 has altered our normal way of living (Hopefully for not much longer), we have all been forced to celebrate in a whole new way! Virtual baby showers, graduations, drive-by happy birthdays, and by now you have probably seen some people getting married virtually at home. With all that’s going on in the world, I’m happy to say that love is not cancelled! Now more than ever we want to celebrate love! Some weddings may not be what couples had in mind when planning but they are no less special! Now that some restrictions are being lifted couples can now elope. The beauty of an elopement is that there are endless options as to where to hold your ceremony. As a result, elopements can happen in nature, in public parks or buildings, at someone’s residence, or even a family member’s property. Did you want to recite your vows on a cliff in Big Sur? Were you hoping to have the mountains as your backdrop as you say your I-do’s? With an elopement, the destination is essentially wherever you’d like it to be, without worrying about a deposit on a wedding venue. As they usually require minimal setup (if any at all), and perfect for social distancing guidelines whether it’s just the two of you with the officiant and photographer, or having a few close family members (6ft apart).
Here are a few ways to make your elopement more special and meaningful.
MONTEREY AND SAN FRANCISCO WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER
1. Location - You can pretty much get married anywhere! Work with your photographer on choosing a location as we know of lots of beautiful backdrops!
2. Transportation - Splurge on getting from point A to point B. Rent a luxury car or convertible or find someone who has a vintage car that can drive you. This makes for a great photo op, plus enjoy some Champaign in the back seat while cruising off to your next photo location. This might have not been in your budget when originally planning your wedding but now it can be!
3. Create your own ritual - This is a great time to create your own ritual together. For Example go out on a boat ride together, get a tattoo together, plant a tree, anything that is basically true to who you are. In my experience when my couples are doing something just for them and not posing for a photo-op the images end up being so much better because you’re not posing, you’re just being authentically you in the moment.
MONTEREY AND CARMEL MICRO WEDDING AND ELOPEMENTS
4. Music - Even if it’s just going to be a small group of people or just the two of you and your vendors, having music can really set the tone. You can either bring a wireless speaker with you as your walking to your ceremony spot, or hire a guitarist, or a violist to play music. Shoot even if one of you know how to play an instrument, bring it! It will not only make for good photos but it will also add a little something special, something different to your day.
5. Food - Even though this going to be an elopement, and most likely just the two of you, you’re both still going to need to eat! Whether its getting take-out from your favorite restaurant or making your own food if you like to cook. This also makes for another great photo op where you don’t have to pose and just be authentically you in the moment.
Just remember there are absolutely no rules on how you both decide to celebrate your love! If you would like some help planning a gorgeous elopement get in touch with me, I would love to help! I have so many ideas and know so many amazing local wedding vendors that can make your elopement something unique and magical! Contact me HERE.
All Images are © Michelle Alexandra Photography
BIG SUR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER
If you are searching for a wedding photographer for your Big Sur Elopement or Monterey Micro Wedding. I’m still taking on weddings for 2020-2021. Email me for more information HERE.
Also, check out one of my Big Sur Elopements